Saturday, January 20, 2007

Gopika has a lot coming her way

Gopika has a lot coming her way

Gopika, a young actress from the God''s Own Country, has made it big in Kollywood thanks to her huge success in Cheran''s Autograph. Her on-screen presence as a Malayalee girl, ''Lathika'', in Autograph not only won her rave reviews but also a host of offers from Tamil and Malayalam filmdom. Today, she has quite a few plum offers in hand and they include Thotti
Jaya opposite Silambarasan.

Adding to her joy, the success of her second Malayalam movie 4 The People directed by Jayaraj was dubbed and released in Tamil as 4 Students. It has completed a silver jubilee run in Kerala and she has emerged as numero uno actress there. The song Lejjavathiyae became popular and she was identified in Malluwood as Lejjavathiyae girl. A student of sociology, Gopika took part in a beauty contest at Thrissur and ventured into modelling also. Offers started to come for Gopika and she eventually took up acting with Pranaya Maniththoova opposite Vineeth.

In a tete-a-tete, Gopika shares her thoughts on her forthcoming ventures besides her favorite actors and actresses.

''I am thrilled at the huge success in Malayalam and Tamil and in the coming days, I want to consolidate my place in both Kollywood and Tollywood'', says this petite actress.
On your success in 4 The People and Autograph?

I acted with Boys- fame Bharath in 4 The People. This film was released in Kerala the same day on which the Tamil film Autograph directed by Cheran was released. I was double happy about it. Both the films successfully completed a silver jubilee run. People identified me and appreciated my performance in both languages. It was dream- come- true for me when Cheran assigned the role to me. I had seen all his films including Bharathi Kannama, Pandavar Bhoomi, Vettri Kodi Kattu and I liked his work very much. Anyway, I thank Almighty for my success.

About other movies that you have ventured into ?

Besides a couple of Malayalam films and one Tamil movie, I have acted in Kanasina Loga in Kannada. It was directed by Jayanthkumar. In the Telugu remake of Azhagi, I am playing the role donned by Devayani in the original version. My Telugu venture Naa Autograph, a remake of Autograph, was released recently and is doing well.

What's your role in Thotti Jaya?

Again, I play the role of a homely girl in the movie. Silambarasan plays the lead role. The entire story happens in Kaniyakumari and Nagercoil and a few scenes were shot in Kolkata. I have donned the role of a college student. There's enough scope for me to prove my acting credentials in the movie.

Will you venture to do glamorous roles in future?

I want to do good character roles and I don't mind waiting for them. When I completed Autograph, I got more than 20 offers. Those offers didn't go well with me as most of them demanded glamorous heroines. Only a good character role is my target for now. For getting one, I'm even prepared to wait for long. For me quality is more important than quantity. I want to establish myself as an actress competent enough to play any character with ease

No comments: