Friday, January 19, 2007

Interview with Tamil Actor Vijay

Interview with Tamil Actor Vijay

Vijay Tamil Actor Interview

Vijay - Interview

"There is nothing wrong in aspiring for Super Stardom" – Vijay . After a series of flops Vijay has bounced back to the top slot with Thirumalai. With the top heroes pitted against him for the Diwali honours he managed to emerge the winner. He talks about his career moves in an exclusive interview to Editor of Galatta.com. Excerpts from the interview


What do you attribute to the success of Thirumalai?
Though 'Thirumalai' story is old, the treatment given to the subject, the takings were all different and new. The language I spoke in the film was also different which I attempted first. It was an overall nicely taken film which made it big at the BO.


Vijay Tamil Actor Interview You had a slump period before Thirumalai. Did you think it would make it so big and when it was competing with Ajith’s, Vikram –Surya’s, etc?
I definitely had confidence that this film would be a great success. You can call it ‘Blind Confidence’ or whatever. But one week before and after release lot of people discouraged me that this film would be a flop. But my gut feeling was strong that this film would never flop. There were lots of interesting things in the film which I thought would definitely be liked by the audience. When I sat to listen the story I was very much impressed. Actually I put myself in the shoes of the audience and listened to the story. So when I liked it why not everyone, I thought.



What are the reasons for the slack period?
There is something called 'time' in film industry. May be my time was not good at that period. I won’t blame anyone. I would blame only myself. Earlier I used to encourage lot of new directors. I would have okayed their story long back and given word. But the film will get released after 1 ½ years. By that time the film gets released the trend would have changed. Some of the ideas would have become outdated. I can’t put my foot down and say now the trend has changed and you give me a different story. Now I am very clear that I must complete my film in six months time. I am spacing out my films. I have decided to give maximum two to three films in a year.


Do you improvise on the sets?
I am a director’s artiste. Director knows what’s best for me. But I do give some suggestions pertaining to my role. If you take Thirumalai you would have noticed my gesture of taking the cigarette from the collar and smoking. That was my suggestion and was well received.


Vijay Tamil Actor Interview What do you have to say for the allegation about the punching dialogues you make in the first scene of Thirumalai that you targeted another top hero?
I don’t think those dialogues meant anyone. First of all I don’t have to keep such dialogues in the film. Thirumalai is an aggressive person, a bike mechanic and he likes racing and always (being the hero) wins in the race. So to give a grand introduction to the hero and to suggest his character such dialogues were kept. Nothing beyond that.


Tell us about Gilli, a remake of Okkadu?
Gilli is not exact replica of Okkadu. We have taken the Highlights from Okkadu and added lot of commercial elements in it to suit our nativity and audience. I am a Kabbadi player. Dharani sir is directing this film. He is a pucca commercial director. He takes utter care even to the smallest details in the film. I leant a lot working with him. It was an enriching experience working with Dharani Sir. The film has come out very well. It's an action based mixed with comedy, romance and sentiments in proper proportions. I am sure it would attract all types of audience.


You have said in your earlier interview that you also would like to reach 'Super Stardom', now that the chair is vacant. Comment.
Its not only me. Any actor who wants make it top would be the same. Not only in this field, be it any field I would like to come on top always. I think it's a natural feeling and nothing wrong in aspiring for 'Super Stardom'. Similarly my aim is always for the top level – 'Super Star'. Unless you have a goal it is impossible to reach any level. I will be constantly aiming to achieve my goal.


Aspiring is ok. Some stars claim that they are more apt for the 'Super Star Chair'! Pl. comment
I don't know anything about other stars. Who ever has said that I really appreciate their frankness and boldness. Frankly speaking I will not go to that extent. Generally every one of us is racing towards reaching 'Super Stardom'.


Vijay Tamil Actor Interview After coming to a stage most of the heroes change their get-ups in one film or other. You are the only one who has not attempted to do so. Are you scared of your image being spoilt?
So far I haven't got a film which required a change of looks. More over, I have earned a name of 'boy with a next door look'. People are able to identify them with me. That was probably my success. Why would I spoil and take risk at this stage. I always want to be identified as a mass and commercial hero. I want go in the commercial track only. So I would select subjects accordingly. May be I will consider this in future. If I do ten films, one of them may have a different subject with variations in my looks.


We heard that you appear differently in the forthcoming Madhesh film Madurey?
Not really. It's also a full fledged mass commercial film aiming for the lowest ebb of audience. For the first time I am doing full-fledged action based film. I have changed my costumes to suit the character. I have two heroines. Sonia Agarwal and Rakshitha


What are your hobbies?
All my hobbies are within cinema only. I watch lot of movies and listen to film music. Once in a year I have made it a point to spend at least 15 days with my family and go on a holiday abroad.

No comments: