Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Malabar girl is going places


The Malabar girl is going places

She had a rollicking start to her career in Tollywood winning the Filmfare award for her debut film playing a Tamil girl in Amma Naana O Tamil Ammayi.

In Kollywood, though her debut venture Ullam Ketkumae failed to make it to the box office, she hit the bulls eye playing a Malayalee girl in M Kumaran S/O Mahalakshmi.

With offers pouring from Tollywood and Tamil filmdom, this petite actress has become a force to reckon with in South India. She followed her O Ammayi in Telugu with Nagarjuna''s Shivamani that again made it big at the box office.

Today, Asin is busy acting opposite Madhavan, Silambarasamn, Surya and hoping for much more.

Excerpts from a chat with the ever-giggling Asin
How did you take to acting?

I ventured to do our family business at an early age of 14. I was fairly successful in business and my interviews (as an entrepreneur) did appear in a few sections of the press. Meanwhile, I also learnt kathakali, and did some modeling assignments. My popularity won for me a film offer. But my parents deserve all credit for making a career out of it.They kept me motivated all through. But for their guidance and motivation, I could have achieved nothing. My mother is my role model.

What have been your experiences in Telugu film industry?

I made my debut in Telugu filmdom with Amma Nana O Tamil Ammayi. I played a Tamil girl in the movie. Thanks almighty, my performance in the movie was widely appreciated and I ended up winning the Filmfare Award for the Best Actress. People there affectionately call me Chennai Girl, which I am proud of.

I followed with films like Lakshmi Narasimha, Shivamani and Gharsana, a remake of Tamil blockbuster Khaakha Khaakha.

What about the competition in the filmdom?

I don't believe in competitions. Every artiste has got his or her place in the industry. I am not keen on making huge money out of my career, rather I want to do quality movies and do good roles and ensure that I am remembered as good actress in future.

Your views on actress being used as glamour dolls?

I don't believe in actresses being branded as glamour and homely heroines. An actress should be competent to do any kind of role. I ensure that I will try my best to do any role with passion and dedication.

Your forthcoming ventures?

I am acting opposite Madhavan in Thambee, a movie being directed by Seeman. I am also assigned to act opposite Silambarasan for a movie titled A/C to be directed by S J Suryah. It is to be followed by a Surya starrer titled Gajini to be directed by Murugadoss. On the whole, my hands are full.

No comments: