Friday, January 19, 2007

Sneha - Interview

Sneha - Interview

Srikanth and me are only friends - Sneha
She started her career with Malayalam films and went on to become a phenomenon in Tamil. She is the only actress in Tamil who says a stern 'no! no' to glamour. Whether it's her reported preference for playing lead with the younger heroes, or her marked reluctance to play lesser roles or simple plain, taking a stand on what glamour is, she has always come clean with that earnest frankness. She is none other than Sneha. In an exclusive interview to the Editor of Galatta.com

Why are you so rigid about glamour roles?
I want to do only decent roles. For me my performance is very important, not exposing myself. I don't think it is a must to do glamorous role. I am also not comfortable with such outfits. I have a certain limit beyond which I won't cross. Sarees suit me well. I have fan followers for my homely and girl next door looks only. I don't want to compromise on this.

In spite of giving a hit film like Parthiban Kanavu you are not to be seen in Tamil. Why?
I have become choosy. I want meaty roles but at the same time not stereotyped. I declined lot of offers, which came after Parthiban Kanavu simply for the reason they had a similar story as that of PK.

Why do you have to accept a guest role in Cheran's Autograph?

Even though it's a guest role, it is an important role. I am appearing as Cheran's friend in the film for 15 minutes only. That's all I can say about my role. For me short or long it should have enough scope to perform. I can act even if there is no song for me. I prefer doing good films than making more number of films.

Who is your mentor?
I don't have any mentor. I want future generation to name Sneha as their mentor.

We heard that you were upset that you did not get an award in the recent IFTA awards function?
There is no truth in it. I was nominated for the best actress category. No one said that I am getting an award. I was their guest. I didn't get selected. It's all part of the game. You should take it in the right spirit. But I was very happy that I could meet lots of my female fans in Malaysia.

Do you get disturbed with rumours?
No not at all! They are after all rumours! I care a damn bit for them. When they are not true, I feel it's a waste of time to talk about them and giving clarifications.
After my accident there were lots of rumours that I won't come back. But within 45 days I came out of my problem and acted in King. That was a turning point in my life.

Who do you think is your competitor among your contemporaries?
It's me myself! Yes, I want to compete with each film of mine.

Why do you refuse to act with senior heroes?
I have never said that. If my role were good I would act with anyone.

About doing 'Item - number'?

No way. First of all item numbers are added to sizzle the audience. When I don't even want to do a glamour role where does the question of Item- number come?

What was Arjun starrer Jai Surya's problem?
I was not aware that I am in Jai Surya. The director came and narrated the story but I declined the offer. But without my knowledge they have used my name and pix in the invitation. So I had to make my stance clear.

Do you know that it is a criterion to dub your own voice for National Award?
Yes! That's the reason I am trying my own voice. I started dubbing from Parthiban Kanavu. I am going to dub in all my future films even if it takes time.

You have a sweet voice? Will you lend your voice to other artistes?
No. In fact couple of producers have approached me. I am not interested. I cannot emote for other artistes.

Have you insured your lips?
(Laughs) Is there insurance for lips?

Tell us about your social service activities.
Ya! I always pity the downtrodden. I love to do whatever simple help within my limit. I am happy to take advantage of my stardom to raise funds for them.

No comments: