Saturday, January 20, 2007

Meera wants one for Tamil


Meera Jasmine is bubbling with joy these days. A proud winner of the national award this year, Meera Jasmine is busy making her comeback in Kollywood through Kasthoori Maan directed by her mentor Lohitha Dass.

"I am overjoyed for the fact that my comeback movie in Tamil has more scope for me to perform. Acting in a heroine-oriented movie is always a pleasure", she says.

A quick chat with Meera Jasmine, who is busy shooting in Chennai for Kasthoori Maan.
On receiving the national award this year?

I never expected that I would bag the coveted award. When I was informed of my selection, I was busy shooting for a movie. Messages congratulating me poured from various corners of the country. It was an enthralling moment.

Describe those moments when you received the award from President A P J Abdul Kalam?

I was speechless in joy when I received the award. I whispered to the President that I am a great fan of his. He blessed me to win more such awards in future. It was great moment for me for I had the opportunity to interact with great stalwarts in Indian cinema like Rituparno Ghosh, Gowtham Gosh and Vidhu Vinod Chopra.

Why a big gap in Tamil?

I did not get good stories here. I am resolved to do only quality movies here. My preference is only for those movies where I have a good role to play. I was asked to play heroine in movies including Ghajini, Kana Kanden, Priyasaki. However, I declined the offers.

Comment on your role in Kasthoori Maan?

I play a self-sacrificing homely character. I toil for the betterment of those around me.. The entire movie revolves around my character. The movie has so far shaped up well.

How do you choose your movies?

I carefully listen to the story. My role should be meaty and at the same time should create a positive impact among the audience.

Your future aspirations?

I have won National award for best actress for a Malayalam movie. My desire is to win the award again for a Tamil movie. I am confident that one day I would realize this dream.

No comments: