Saturday, January 20, 2007

Reema Sen - Interview

Vijay Tamil Actor InterviewReema Sen - Interview

“Mumbai Girls come in well groomed package and a preferred lot in South” - Reema Sen – An Exclusive.



The “Vasigara” gal of Minnale swept the teenage audience. Her hip jerking movement in the item number in Jay Jay and pelvic movements in Dhool made her sensational. Reema Sen with her curly permed hair, bedroom eyes and tobacco stained teeth was the new gal in Kollywood. With her hot promos of her forthcoming film Chellame she is making waves in the tinsel town. An exclusive interview to the Editor.

You became an instant hit with Minnale. Why didn’t you make it big?Reema Sen
To be very frank with you, I was flooded with offers after Minnale. In fact I can claim I was the highest paid newcomer. I wanted to be choosy in my roles. All the three films Minnale, Bhagavathy and Dhool had completely different characters and so they stand out. I believe in doing less number of good films than more number of insignificant ones. I want to go steady so that I don’t get lost. I started with Chithram in Telugu and it was a big hit. Again I was offered plenty of Telugu films and most of them are ‘run of the mill’ kind. So far I have done only four Telugu films.

How do you select stories?
I go by my intuition. You won't believe it, the moment I hear a story I can say if it'll make it. I was damn sure Chithram and Minnale would be huge hits. But I never ever selected a movie on the strength of the cast and other details.

What kind of roles do you look for?
Ideally speaking an artiste should do all kinds of roles that are offered to them. I like the kind of roles, which are offbeat. I love to cry a lot and do a role, a tearjerker, which will move the family audience. A dream role of a girl full of trouble and how she manages to face the odds in life and come up in life.

Why do Mumbai girls are preferred lot in South?
Bombay girls come in a package. They are all highly glamorous, fashion conscious, makeup sense, figure conscious, exposed to modeling and groomed in all aspects required for a heroine material. Here even though girls are highly talented their exposure is pretty low. Probably this could be reason South producers prefer Mumbai girls.

Have you given up Bollywood after the disaster of Hum Ho Gaye Aapke and Jaal?
Though my first film in Hindi failed miserably, I would not accept Jaal was a disaster. It did reasonable business. Currently I have signed for two Hindi films. I don’t lose any Hindi film that comes in my way. That doesn’t mean I pine for Bollywood films. It is rare that an artiste get good response in more than one language. However, it was rumoured that I am craving for Bollywood, as I did not work in Telugu films after Adrushtam and accepted a Hindi film. You know that there are Telugu and Tamil directors who are working for Hindi films. It doesn't mean that they are neglecting the South Indian film industry. Like that, I too accepted one or two Hindi films, when I got an opportunity.
It is the Telugu and Tamil films that have raised me to a star status. Whenever I sign for a film, I just don't Reema Senlook at the language. I only look at the subject and my character. That was the reason, why I accepted Bhagavati and Dhool in Tamil. I even get lot of offers from Malayalam and Kannada. But I can’t be shifting between languages. My time gets divided. I firmly believe in subject. I would rather concentrate in one than branching out. If something comes with an outstanding story or director, I don’t mind.

Why do you accept “item numbers” like in Jay Jay when you are still doing heroine role?
What’s wrong in doing an item number? I feel rather proud. Only if you have a star value, the producer’s feel that by including a glamour number of mine it would elevate the value of the film. It is an added attraction. Even in a single dance you can make people remember you. I should be able to give my best.

Don’t you run the risk of branded as a glam actress by doing cameo roles like in Dhool?
I am not apologetic by doing Dhool. It is more difficult to play a highly dumb role in Dhool. Yet people like it. That’s the success. I am relatively a new artiste. But I am thoroughly commercial too. For that matter I play all kind of roles. Manasantha Nuve where I played a typical girl next door was a big hit.

What are your future films?
I am doing G.J.Combines Chellame in Tamil which is ready for release. Vishal is the hero. And Bharath of Boys is yet another hero. My role is a very well etched character. In the first half I play a college girl and in second half it’s my married life. You will see a totally different Reema in the Chellame and get convinced that I could also act. There is Giri with Arjun in Sundar C direction. Kushboo is the producer. It’s out and out a commercial film. I am also doing one Kannada film News with Upendra.

No comments: